Indoor Air Quality
What is Indoor Air Quality?
The USA is home to 60 billion square feet of office space. As these buildings continue to age, the need to do something to improve the indoor air quality will become paramount. The EPA explains that Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) “refers to the air quality within and around buildings and structures, especially as it relates to the health and comfort of building occupants.” We can reduce your risk of indoor health concerns by understanding and controlling these common indoor pollutants.
The Indoor Environment Group at Berkeley Labs tells us that “The term “indoor air quality (IAQ)”, interpreted broadly, refers to the environmental characteristics inside buildings that may affect human health, comfort, or work performance. IAQ characteristics include the concentrations of (amounts of) pollutants in indoor air, as well as air temperature and humidity.- The main factors affecting indoor thermal comfort are indoor air temperatures, the temperatures of exterior walls and windows, humidity, and the amount of indoor air motion.”
“The evidence that improving indoor environmental quality (IEQ) can increase comfort, decrease adverse health effects, decrease absence rates, and increase work and school work performance………Particle filtration in buildings can substantially reduce people’s exposures to particles from both outdoor air and indoor sources. While the health effects of indoor-generated particles are poorly understood, higher concentrations of outdoor air particles are strongly linked to premature death and a variety of adverse health effects.” – https://iaqscience.lbl.gov/overview
“Particle filtration technologies are well established and widely available. Currently, most building HVAC systems include filters with a relatively low efficiency rating. For example, U.S. commercial buildings often use filters with a Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) of 7, with a low efficiency in removing the small particles most important to health. The filters used in the HVAC systems of houses often have an even lower efficiency. The incremental costs of using higher efficiency filters, e.g., those with a MERV 11 rating, are modest — less than a U.S. dollar per person per month [11, 62] and the predicted health benefits are substantial. Consequently, routine use of higher efficiency filters in HVAC systems represents a good building practice.” https://iaqscience.lbl.gov/benefits-summary
There are many reasons that you may need to filter the air through your building. Both draft elimination and filtration can provide your office with many health benefits which can produce better work efforts exhibited all around. As research has shown, there are people who suffer from allergies due to ductwork contaminants, as well as getting sick from air drafts coming from the air conditioning vents while working in their office.
|Dust Mite, Insect Feces and Hair||
Weed and Tree Pollen
|Airborne Streptococcus Bacteria|
Comfort First Products strives to provide our customers with the solution they need to keep their office a happy, thriving, healthy, comfortable indoor business by improving indoor air quality and controlling the indoor air motion in offices.
There are many reasons that you may need to filter the air through your building. Both draft elimination and filtration can provide your office with many health benefits which can produce better work efforts exhibited all around.
As people become more educated about sick building syndrome, they will be demanding management does something to improve the quality of the air they breathe. The EPA states indoor air quality is on average seven to ten times more polluted than outdoor air, even in metropolitan areas. Harmful airborne particles are linked to health problems such as asthma, fatigue, allergies, respiratory ailments, headaches, nausea, and more.
Until now, solutions were few. Cleaning or replacing ductwork is too costly. Plus, cleaning the ducts often exacerbates the problem by loosening old duct insulation loaded with contaminants.
Our Solution is Easy and Affordable
Four high-efficiency electrostatic charged filters cover each discharge point on the inside portion of each set of louvers, cleaning the air as it enters the workspace. The diffuser hinges open so filter changes can be done without entering the sub-ceiling.
- Traps Airborne Contaminates – Captures ductwork pollution as small as 3/10th of a micron, including bacteria, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) dust, rust, dust mites, insect pieces, pollens and other allergens.
- Reduces Illness and Allergies – By eliminating many toxins and allergens from the air, airborne illnesses and allergic reactions are reduced, thereby reducing sick time, which increases company profit.
- Improves Productivity and Morale – Improving indoor air quality makes people feel better on the job and increases their concentration, fewer sick days, resulting in higher productivity and morale.
- No Dirty Ceilings – Prevents dust build up on ceiling.
- Easy to Change Filters – Filters last 3 to 6 months and the diffuser hinges open for quick replacement. Filter attaches with a hook fastener.
Finally there is a solution to the problem of cold or hot air blowing onto workers from ceiling supply air vents or diffusers. No longer do people need to wear sweaters or jackets to stay comfortable while they work. Too often, other diffusers “dump” air straight down onto the heads of employees, which is the cause of draft complaints. Only the Comfort First Filtered Diffuser eliminates drafts, while improving indoor air quality (IAQ) and creating a healthier work environment.
The Comfort First Filtered Diffuser features four independently adjustable louvers, providing complete individual air control. No more “dumping” of air, regardless of the Air Volume (Cubic Feet Per Minute). Guaranteed to deliver the best air distribution available, while providing an ambient air temperature comfortable for EVERYONE. Helps make facilities office air flow specialists.
- 4-Way Adjustable Flow Patterns – Adjust one side to direct air slightly downward, another side can bounce off the ceiling while the two other sides can blow straight out; unlimited variations.
- Eliminates Air Draft Complaints – No more air blowing onto workers, which causes draft complaints. No more “I’m freezing at my desk!”
- The Comfort First provides such good air distribution that a comfortable room temperature is more quickly achieved, causing the AC unit to cycle on less often and for a shorter amount of time, saving energy. This also allows the thermostat to be increased one to three degrees, with each degree saving as much as 5% of energy consumption. These three energy saving aspects combined could save you or you tenant big money!
- Reduces Tenant and Employee Complaints – Fewer workers compensation claims and employee lawsuits leads to higher occupancy by retaining tenants, and less sick day claims improves company productivity and profits.
Fast and Easy Filtering & Draft Eliminator – Control-A-Flow Draft Eliminator with Anti-microbial Filter is used when you do not have time or money to change out the diffuser and still want to diverts air from ceiling air diffusers while preventing duct work pollution from entering the work space with the anti-microbial filter!
“Someday all buildings will be required to have a filtering supply diffuser to clean the air as it enters the room. It’s the only sensible solution to ductwork pollution.”
-David T. Northcutt, National Sales Manager, International Diversified Marketing, Inc.